Learning and Engagement Administrative Assistant
Supervisor: VP of Learning and Engagement
Classification: Regular, Full-time, Non-exempt
Compensation: $12.00 -$14.00perhour
Certain places have a magic that draws people to them. The Kalamazoo Nature Center is one of those places. Recognized by its peers as one of the top nature centers in the country, the Kalamazoo Nature Center is located on 1,100 acres of wooded, rolling countryside and includes over 14 miles of hiking trails winding through some of the most special habitats in Michigan. The Kalamazoo Nature Center (KNC) is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to create relationships and experiences that welcome and inspire people to discover, enjoy, value, and care for nature.
Because we value the strength diversity brings to the workplace, the Kalamazoo Nature Center is committed to the recruitment, retention, and development of a workforce that reflects the society in which we live. We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
Position Summary:KNC’s Learning and Engagement (L&E) department provides nature-focused experiences for our community via outdoor programming and events, curriculum focused school programs,educational community supported agriculture, nature-based preschool, high school conservation programs, summer camp, and exhibits. The Learning and Engagement department is responsible for our main interface between the public and KNC. The Administrative Assistant will support the L&E administrative needs including,scheduling, data management, communication support,and reporting. The person in this position will play a crucial role in the delivery oforganized, relevant, meaningful programs for our community that connect people with nature.
- Provide clerical support for KNC’s L&Eactivities by managing recordsand information including but not limited to: program sales, program costs, project implementation, tracking, schedules and logistics, client communications, budget expenditures, marketing efforts, invoicing and payments, and final reports.
- Populate and manage a new database for L&E’sprogram records (with supportand guidance from other KNC staff and technical advisors).
- Provide excellent customer care and strengthen client and team relationships.
- Coordinate information sharing between the L&E department andother departments, particularly Finance and Development.
- Represent KNC at community outreach events and activities.
- Assist the L&E VP and Directors with other administrative tasks, as needed.
- Participate in meetings, committees, events, or other tasks relevant to the KNC mission as determined by supervisor.
- Collect evaluations for all attended programs and events
- Upkeep, inventory, care, and maintenance of L&E equipment and facilities used for programming
- Participate in regular KNC staff activities including but not limited to trainings, public events, special programs, planning sessions and staff meetings
- Maintain effective community relationships and positive representation of organization with the community
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in an administrative support role.
- Expertise with MS Office products, particularly MS Excel.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Previous database management experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Previous experience in developing and implementing successful record keeping systems.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to provide quality customer service.
- Commitment to privacy and care when working with personal client information.
- Ability to work independently and to be a considerate and dependable team player.
- Commitment to advancing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment.
- Commitment to the KNC mission.
- Experience with Blackbaud software (Raiser’s Edge and Financial Edge)preferred
- Must pass a pre-employment background check.
- Valid driver’s license andthe ability to be insured under KNC’s automobile insurance policy.
- High integrity
- Independent thinker with strong initiative, but comfortable working within a defined framework
- Self-motivated (takes initiative) with high standards
- Hands-on and variety seeking
- Dynamic and fun, yet responsible and professional
- Flexible with a "whatever it takes" attitude
- Confidence with public speaking and group facilitation
- Confidence in working individually as well as within a team
- Competent oral and written communications
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at times
- Must be able to tolerate walking, standing, and sitting for extended periods of time
- Ability to tolerate working outdoors in all environmental temperatures and weather
How to Apply: Please apply bySeptember 13th via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
3.Contact information for three (3) professional references
We will begin reviewing applications on September 13th and reach out to you shortly thereafter. Please reserve September 22nd as a potential interview date. This position will remain open until filled by the ideal candidate.
The Kalamazoo Nature Center is an equal opportunity organization that will not discriminate in its programs or hiring practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, height, weight, sexual orientation or gender identity, marital status, or political affiliation.